During its last tenure The SAQS Panel council continually works to increase recognition of our engineering professionals. We as PEC acquire an active membership of the international organizations and agreements/ MoUs. This enables us to represent the interests of Pakistani engineers and exert strong influence internationally, which benefits individuals, businesses and the Pakistani system of engineering education.
Who We Are
ENGR. SYED ABDUL QADIR SAH
Graduated in Civil Engineering from Sindh University Engineering Collage Jamshoro in 1971. Thereafter remained engaged with private firm as Field Engineer till 1973, when joined Communication & Works Department. Serving on various assignment in different capacities finally retired as Chief Engineer Highways, Sindh. Also served as Project Director Asian Development Bank Project Engineering Cell Sindh.
During his career for rendering services par excellence also received several certificated in recognition/appreciation.
A part from above he is also an active member of various other professional bodies such as Institute of Engineers PEC Congress where he sits in as member Executive Council. Affiliate
Nevertheless, as Chairman/ Vice Chairman PEC, have significantly contributed in stream lining the affairs of the Council. Member ASCE (American Society of Civil Engineers).
Achievement during the Vice Chairman PEC and Chairman PEC are highlighted as under.
- PEC was accepted as provisional member of Washington Accord.
- PEC accepted as provisional member of the prestigious Engineers Mobility Forum of International Engineering Alliance (IEA) (Now renamed as International Professional Engineers Agreement (IPEA)).
- PEC became Member of Network of Accreditation Bodies of Engineering Education of Asia (NABEEA).
- PEC elected as Executive Committee member of Federation of Engineering Institutions of Asia and Pacific Region (FEIAP)for the first in the history.
- He was elected as PresidentFederation of Engineering Institutions of Islamic Countries (FEIIC) at Madinah first ever in the history of PEC.
- Organized 5th World Engineering Congress (WEC-2013) under his patronage which was inaugurated by President of Pakistan in September 2013 at Islamabad.
- Organized 1st International Young Engineers Convention (FEIICIYES-2014).
- Patronage to develop Outcome Based Education (OBE) and professional guidelines/ system for quality engineering education and standardization and across boarder mobility of competent engineers.
- 1st International workshop/ dialogue on developing Roadmap for quality engineering education, standardization, organized in collaboration with UNESCO, FEIAP and ECO Science Foundation held at Islamabad.
- Petron of Yes-Pakistan, develop to elevate young engineers society under FEIIC-PEC initiatives, which is to be adopted among other FEIIC member countries.
- Under his able Chairmanship, PEC has developed various national standards/ codes for betterment of peoples of Pakistan and engineering community like Building Energy Code, National Electric Safety Code.
- PEC Job Fair 2014 with selfless efforts one day Job Fair 2014 was organized for the unemployed engineers of Pakistan at Expo Centre Karachi. About 16 UAE companies including CEO Club (a consortium of top 100 companies) of UAE and 25 Pakistani companies participated in this mega event. Similar Job fair was also organized in Peshawar. Over 3000 engineers got there employments abroad as well as locally.
- Service Structure for Engineers and time scale promotion of Engineers were developed upon his guidance and announced by the then Prime Minister of Pakistan on 29th May, 2012. Unfortunately Honorable Mr Yusuf Raza Gilani (Prime Minister) was then removed from his office and could not be materialized.
- First On-Grid Solar System at PEC Building- was established with his efforts being the first project of its kind in the country connected to the grid as the access electricity is being delivered to the national grid. This project has set precedence as a role model for defining procedures and strategy at the national level for on-grid solar power generation.
- It was for the first time in history that magnetic cards were issued to the Engineers instead of paper cards.
- PEC got licenses of constructors and operators printed from Pakistan Security Printing Corporation (Pvt.) Limited where the first time ever security checks were maintained to avoid malpractices.
- Discounts on many services and products was also initiated by Shah Sahib for the first time in history of PEC to privilege and facilitate engineers.
- PEC helpline 051-111-111-732 was also started by Shah Sahib to facilitate engineers, constructors, operators and consultant in order to resolve their issues.
- PEC Magazine and newsletters were also an innovative step of Shah Sahib’s visionary leadership.
In nutshell, his tenure of three years was full of achievements under the rules and regulations of PEC. Shah Sahib is man of disciplines. He always respect law and never tried to abuse them. This is also one of the reasons that he is always respected and admired by engineers, constructors and operators and other institutions.
Engr. Mukhtar A. Sheikh
Vice Chairman-Sindh, Pakistan Engineering Council
who born in 1959in a historical and very fertile town of Sindh i.e. Larkana is not unknown to any engineer of Pakistan. In other words; we can say that history of Engineering Community of Pakistan cannot be completed without his name.
Engr. Mukhtar got his initial education from his hometown (Larkana) and did his graduation in Electronics Engineering from Dawood College of Engineering & Technology (DCET), Karachi in 1982 that is now known as Dawood University of Engineering & Technology, Karachi. He was very active since his early age. He held the position of Joint Secretary of Students’ Association of Govt. College, Larkana andSocial Secretary of DCET (Dawood College of Engineering & Technology), Karachi during his student life. Students coming from other parts of country specially Baluchistan and interior Sindh to seek engineering education at Karachi were not much aware of city life. This was Engr. Mukhtar who helped them at every stage and enable them to cope up with problems of daily life.
The life of Engr. Mukhtar A. Sheikh is full of achievements. He started his career from Pakistan Customs and still serving there at a very notable position. He was not behind to anyone at his work place and remained unopposed President of Customs Officers Association of Pakistan for consecutive seven times. He did his best job for the welfare of the officers and employees of Pakistan Customs for that he is always regarded.
Engr. Mukhtar A. Sheikh; is also the Member of Services, General Administration & Coordination Department, Government of Sindh since 2017. He is also the Member of Master Plan Department, Sindh Building Control Authoritysince 2017 and rendering his services efficiently and honestly.
Engr. Mukhtar A. Sheikh had remained Member of the Governing Body of Pakistan Engineering Council for three times. He has been the youngest ever elected member of the Governing Body of Pakistan Engineering Council when he was just 34 and he still holds this record. He has also been the Vice Chairman for Sindh Province to Pakistan Engineering Council two times (2012 to 2015)&(2015 to Present). During his first tenure; he did marvelous jobs for the Engineering Community of Pakistanunder the leadership of Engr. Syed Abdul Qadir Shah (Chairman of
PEC at that time) that are listed below:
- Arrangement of two international job fairs; one at Karachi and other at Peshawar in 2013 are really one of his great achievements, when hundreds of international firms and companies came to Pakistan and hired Pakistani Engineers.
- Publication of magazine for Engineers by Pakistan Engineering Council for the first time ever in the history of Pakistan Engineering Council while he was the Chief Editor.
- He was the Convenerof Public Relation Committee of Pakistan Engineering Council and during his tenure following were achieved:
- Exclusive discounts for Engineers for the first time ever in the history of PEC by different hospitals, diagnostic centers and laboratories, hotels and restaurants, stores etc.
- Life time subscription of Professional Engineers was reduced from Rs 5,000/- to Rs. 2000/- then later to Rs. 1,000/-.
- For the first time, Registered Engineer was also allowed to get benefit of life time subscription for Rs. 1,000/- only.
Engr. Mukhtar A. Sheikh is the man of principles. He is of opinion that “Engineers are the Pride of Our Nation”. Despite of bitter opposition by current Chairman of PEC, he stands firm and continues to serve the Engineering Community. He opposed him at every stage for his unfair decisions that could affect and harm the standard and nobility of Engineers of Pakistan. He has a great concern for unemployment of engineers of Pakistan. It was because of his true efforts and continuous support that Prime Minister’s Youth Training Program for Engineers could become possible.
Engr. Mukhtar A. Sheikh is also the Member of Syndicate as well Senate of Dawood University of Engineering &Technology, Karachi since 2015 and Member of Board of Directors of Usman Institute of Technology (UIT), Karachi since 2013. He has great love and affection for his mother institute Dawood University of Engineering &Technology, Karachi) and he has played a vital role in the development and progress of this University.